From interaction with the communities and a little bit of citizen science, we have seen that there is over dependence of the wetland resources by the communities living in proximity to the wetland areas.
This has majorly been brought about by over population and high poverty rates that leave the locals thinking that the only option they have is to encroach into the wetlands. Their belief that the wetland areas are so much more productive has also seen them doing a lot of wetland farming and in the process leading to the destruction of the wetland ecosystem.
This strategy will therefore attempt try and inform the members of the community of the alternative sources of livelihood that they can engage in and help reduce the pressure on wetlands.
The activities that will be carried out under this strategy will include:
- Conducting workshops that will be aimed at helping would be entrepreneurs to apply sustainability concepts to their business ideas.
- Providing business incubation support and entrepreneurship training to individual or groups of would be entrepreneurs in developing Nature based enterprises
- Leading workshops on eco-san toilets and compost based agriculture, bio-gas production and use of solar lights and efficient cook stoves
- Assisting interested households to acquire materials for construction and installing eco-san toilets, bio-gas digesters, solar lamps and efficient cook stoves.
- Helping the community members who choose to adopt the systems to integrate compost into their agricultural practices.